Monday, April 14, 2014

How to win the blame game



When we blame others, it's not just because they may have done something harmful. Blame is something so much more dangerous. It's a stronghold the enemy uses to keep us in oppression. We use blame to play the victim. It deflects us from seeing and accepting our part.  

We learn in Matthew that blame in fact, makes us blind!!

Matthew 7:3-5 ESV 

"Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye."


When I first came to recovery I was covered in the denial that anything was wrong with me. I blamed the situations in my life on the actions of everyone else. I was blind to my part. I couldn't and wouldn't take responsibility for my own actions and even reactions which were often much more horrible than the other persons initial action. 

I have had to learn to accept my part in situations, even when I may react to someone else's offense. I can't let blame cover me in denial and make my heart hard. Looking outward, causes me to to remain outward. God is interested on the inward. He wants my heart. 

I have come to recognize the need to blame as a trigger and I begin to intentionally look inside of me. When I do that, my need to blame others no longer has a hold of me. It becomes an indicator rather than a dictator. 

When we successfully began to recognize and redirect the need to blame, we can claim victory. For what the enemy has tried to instill as a stronghold, now releases us into a place where Jesus can work on our hearts. It's when our hearts are open, we can truly see the work God is doing in us. This is how we can win the blame game! 

Next time you want to blame someone else, can you find minute to be still and ask, "what's my part in this?" 

A Grateful Believer in Jesus Christ, 
Johnna 

No comments:

Post a Comment