Thursday, November 8, 2012

Base, you can't get me!!!

I take our kids to the park quite often. They have really developed a group of friends that are also regulars. This last week, we had something unexpected come up so while we were waiting, we made an impromptu trip to the park. There were more than the average number of children there this day. It wasn’t but a few minute in, a huge game of “tag your it” began. There were close to a dozen kids involved.

I sat on the bench and watched. All of the children were so happy and full of laughter,  I was almost nostalgic about my childhood. As one of the children ran across the park closer to where I was at, she grabbed one of the big yellow bucket swings and yelled, “BASE, You can’t get me!”. Immediately, other children began running to the swing and yelling base. My first thought, “I wish my life had a base so people couldn’t get to me.”

Of course, these ideas began growing with comparisons. It’s how my thought process works. You know, I do have a base. It’s God and he provides us several bases while we are in this world. I use my bases too!

I find myself frustrated at times, hurt by other people, just plain out of energy or motivation and I need a break. I have said this before but my favorite way to be still when time(err children) allows, is to retreat to my room with my bible. You can’t read the bible without coming out refreshed and renewed. The bible reminds me, if my faith is in God, this world can’t hurt me. The bible is one of my “bases”.

Another one of my bases is prayer. A quick breath prayer can instantly restore calm. It's like holding on to “base” to catch our breath while no one can touch us,  prayer does that too. It allows us to catch our breath and hit the ground running again.

One of the most important aspects of “base” is our friends there with us. Just like all of the children quickly caught on that they would be safe if they grabbed base, the lost catch on from us. They see us holding on to Jesus for strength and hope and they want to hold on to. They find their way to salvation by our example.

When we look around, we see other Christians holding on to the same “base” that we are. This is the protective base known as our “spiritual family”.

Imagine it this way. The child that is “it”, running after everyone, trying to get them. If  most of the other children are safely on “base”,  the child that is “it”  stands there OR goes after the kids not on base. It’s easier to grab one than to jump into a group that considers themselves protected.  The world works this way too. We are safer when supported by and supporting our spiritual family.

“Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour.” 1 Peter 5:8 (NLT)

So now we can see our earthly bases clearly. We can take heed from a game I am sure all of us played in childhood. We can remember our one solid base and we can find comfort knowing we are protected.

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, ...  Ephesians 6:10-18 (ESV)


Do you feel safe? Do you know where your bases are and do you use them? Do you take the time share your bases with others?

A Grateful Believer in Jesus Christ
~Johnna




No comments:

Post a Comment