Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Songs of Praise



One of my favorite ways to worship is through music. It’s unfortunate that I can’t sing.  Actually I guess I could but not many other people would be interested in hearing the distorted sounds that come out. I am absolutely thrilled that God gave that gift to at least one of my children.

My 9 year old daughter Amanda has a heart for singing. I didn’t just say voice or ability to remember lyrics even though she has both of those gifts as well. She really has the heart for singing. I catch her with her eyes closed singing a worship song and I see my daughter communicating with God. I am awestruck watching her in these moments.

Last December, Amanda was invited to sing at church for Christmas eve service. She was so excited and nervous. We were all so happy for her. She was concerned about remembering the lyrics as it was a song new to her. She practiced several times at  home and at church and was able to get somewhat comfortable.

Christmas eve came and it was time. Amanda stood up in front of the congregation looking scared but determined. The music came on and she began singing. Then it happened. Amanda was thrown off a little and she panicked and she broke down crying on stage. My heart was instantly shattered for my daughter. The music minister stood beside her, prayed with her on stage until she calmed down and helped her continue. She did great, she overcame a mistake and finished and her voice was beautiful.

I have to get honest. I think every adult present was humiliated FOR her. We all wanted to take that pain, that hurt, that moment and protect her from it. To see a child stumble is so difficult. Any one of us would have done anything to make that better for her.  At least that is what most of us saw and felt.
Later that evening as our family was gathered in our kitchen preparing for bed, we stood in a circle and took turns telling what we were grateful for. Amanda’s turn came and she grinned and she said, “I am grateful I got to sing for my Lord tonight”.

Oh come, let us sing to the Lord; let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation! Let us come into his presence with thanksgiving; let us make a joyful noise to him with songs of praise! Psalms 95:1-2 ESV

I was instantly convicted in so many ways. I saw my daughter stumble in front of people. I saw her break down crying. I thought it was kind of weird how she did finish and that was that. She didn’t seem to have many after effects of the mistakes that we all felt. I understood why she wasn't upset for long when Amanda spoke her words of gratitude. Amanda wasn’t just singing to perform for the people. In fact, that was probably the last thing she was singing for. Amanda was singing for her Lord. That was her heart and that is why God gave her this gift. I learned from my daughter this day, as did many others. She didn’t make a mistake, she did what she set out to do, she used her gift for God’s glory and in return he used that experience to grow her and the people around her.

I share this because it was put on my heart after reading about song in my bible tonight. This blog is about how we can leave fingerprints. That goes both ways. Sometimes, fingerprints get left in our life by others. I am grateful for my kids and all they teach me. God uses them in so many ways and I am amazed and blessed.  When did someone leave fingerprints in your life? Are you taking the time to pay attention and learn?

A Grateful Believer in Jesus Christ
~Johnna

No comments:

Post a Comment