Sunday, February 17, 2013

To "those" people from "us" people..

I have several family members that struggle with addictions to drugs and alcohol. These struggles often result in people passing judgement and acting with prejudice towards our family. As someone that has never touched a drug and can count on my hands the number of times I have drank, this causes me great frustration.

I want "those" people that look at "us" people to know a few things:

1. Our family struggles, they are not what defines our family. Our reaction to our struggles define our family.

2. It's a family struggle. One family member that isn't sober minded will affect the rest of the family and their thoughts and actions.

3. We didn't choose this struggle, it's a disease that requires something outside of ourselves to cure.

4. Recovery becomes a way of life because without it, we wouldn't have life.

5. Those of us that have found recovery, are grateful for our struggle. It's gives us a spirituality that only comes from living a hell that few understand.

6. We do believe in God just as much as you do and consider ourselves God's children. The grace present through our struggles has left no doubt of God. He is real and He is good.

7. We kind of feel sorry for you. Everyone has hurts, habits, and hangups but not everyone gets the freedom that comes from recovery.

8. Celebrate Recovery can help you too.

In the past, recovery programs have been more aimed at specific groups. Celebrate Recovery has opened up the world of recovery to include everyone. It's a program for Men, Women and children struggling with anything. I recently took a chip for my weight, and have taken them for my marriage, control issues, resentment, handing things over to God, a call to ministry, and the list is endless.

For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. (Romans 7:18 ESV)

If you are reading this and are facing ANY struggle or if you are just curious, I invite you to find a Celebrate Recovery near you.

A Grateful Believer in Jesus Christ
~Johnna

No comments:

Post a Comment