Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Fight, not flight

Several times in several days, I have faced unwarranted meanness. I have witnessed a single mom be told to go beg somewhere else for diapers for her little one. I received a horrible hate filled email after my account was hacked and sent out spam. I was told during fundraising for a nonprofit that the homeless deserve what they get. I have cried many tears and then I have gotten mad.

I have a fight response to meanness. I have an ability to turn really mean back and often times I can be even meaner than the other person. In the past I have justified my retaliation.

In recovery, I have learned to retaliate less but I'm still being convicted on my reaction. I am reminded of Joseph in the bible and how his brothers sold him into slavery. As a result and several years later, Joseph becomes the second most important person next to the Pharaoh and his brothers are led to repent. They are terrified of what Joseph's reaction might be. He tells them..

As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today. (Genesis 50:20 ESV)

He forgives his brothers and gives the glory of the outcome to God who took their mean actions and used them to benefit Joseph and help many others.

I may not ever know what it is to not react to meanness. I may always have that "fight" response. God can still use me. I will choose to let that "fight" feeling ignite a passion to help others for good, knowing that meanness loses. It doesn't lose because meanness is stopped. Meanness loses when it is outdone, outnumbered, and conquered by love, faith, and hope. Meanness loses when grace and mercy over take, and grace and mercy will overtake.

I won't let my fight become flight, but I will let my fight become good and worthy, and for His glory and not mine.

A Grateful Believer in Jesus Christ,
Johnna

No comments:

Post a Comment