Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Participating in Change

Change…

Last year the word was recovery, at the beginning of this year it was growth, now it is change. I am not sure when it became about change but God has made it loud and clear this last couple weeks, the focus is now change.

When I completely and unconditionally submitted my life to Christ all over again 2 years ago, I did so believing I would be made new. I did believe this, on faith. The bible tell us it’s true and we can claim that…

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. 2 Corinthians 5:17 (ESV)

This week, even a few days ago, as I was struggling, I kept asking myself “what am I doing wrong?” I really do believe we can be made new, so why was I engaging in old behaviors? Why did everything seem to tumble back in an instant? It’s because I can say I believe and have faith, but I wasn’t acting the part.

For example, I went with my daughter on a field trip yesterday. They had a weight scale that would give your weight on earth and on the moon. Let me just say, I would be a happy size 2 if I lived on the moon, but I don’t. The reason this particular issue isn’t getting any better is because I am sitting on my hiney reading about being made new and then getting up and acting the SAME. God needs our cooperation sometimes. So today, with the thought, “what can I change today?” , I went walking. Not a huge change, but it is a change. It was a change I took part in as a “new” person.

It’s isn’t coincidence the new book I picked up this morning was titled, “Changing Course”. Claudia Black tells us that “recovery starts with recognizing that you would like at least part of your life to be different that it is now. “ That means… you guessed it, change!

So I share with you my new focus. Some of you may have started this journey with me, some may just be starting it now, and some may be way ahead in the game. In any case, for those that are ready to step out of the insane pattern of doing the same thing over and over expecting different results, I encourage you to ask yourself, what can I do as a new person that is different? It doesn’t have to be a huge deal. It can be skipping the donut shop and picking up some fresh fruit in the morning. It can be lowering our voice when we feel the urge to raise our voice. It can be setting at timer for 15 minutes to clean, or 15 minutes to be still and pray and meditate. It can be dropping some clothes stashed in the back of the closet off at a local charity. Just do today,  something you didn’t do yesterday. Something new, something changed.

The point is, God can, will, and wants to change us. Are we willing to participate?

A Grateful Believer in Jesus Christ,
Johnna

No comments:

Post a Comment