Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Rocky

Tonight, a tragedy occurred. My daughter, on the autism spectrum, lost her pet rock. Sounds silly but it's anything but.

Kamryn has had this pet rock for 5 years. It has multiple layers of fingernail polish, another one of her passions. Her nail polish from Christmas, her nail polish from her birthday, her nail polish from her aunt have all contributed to the beauty of "rocky". 

The rock broke into 3 pieces. She frantically tried to piece it back together as she yelled "stay with me Rocky".  My husband had to leave the room as we are both trying to stifle laughter. It was kinda cute at this point. 

An elastic band holding the rock together , Kamryn declared, "Rocky is gone." I told her we could peace it back together. She said, " no, I have lost my best friend" 

She left  the room and I went to check on her a little while later. I found her outside with the shovel. I took the shovel from her at which point she collapsed into my arms sobbing. There was nothing funny about this situation left, at all. My little girl is heart broken. 

The other kids are frantically running around trying to find new rocks. My 7 year old finds one and runs in my room to find the nail polish. Kamryn won't have it. They continue to pick up token presents to give her, anything to console their sister. She is hysterical at this point.

Kamryn is still sobbing in random bursts. We are in the car as I write this. We have listened to her share why she loved Rocky. She can remember a lot when it comes to this rock, many moments in the last 5 years is detail. 

There really isn't a lesson on this post to share. I wanted to write it down to remember the evening I cried because my daughter cried ... over a rock. It's amazing how far Motherhood and the compassion that comes with it has taken me. This I didn't see coming, but I wouldn't trade our journey for the world. 

A Grateful Believer in Jesus Christ 
~Johnna 

No comments:

Post a Comment