Thursday, September 27, 2012

Overcoming hatred

I struggle with this all day, every day. In my previous blog, I told about my daughters story with bullying. In my 34 years, I have seen more hatred that I care to even recall.

I grew up with a dad that was a very strong Christian man. It didn't matter what anyone did, he was kind, always. He taught me that kindness and for most of my life , that is who I was. If someone called me a mean name, I would ask them if they needed a hug. I did not understand meanness, nor did I know how to be mean.

In the last two years, trials and test have made my heart so hard towards mean people. Their hatred makes me hateful. I feel like I can't be nice or it will automatically open the door for me to be people's doormat.

I recently, and not really joking, told my husband that I really don't want to be the jerk whisperer anymore. He told me I should pray for people that are mean. He , as well as many others, have ministered to me to help me overcome traumatically hateful things I have been through. It's about learning and growing, and it is slow for me at this point.

The reason I am sharing this, because we are all a work in progress, ever growing stronger. That is what God does with our circumstances, if we turn them over to him. So I share myself for those that might need it.

The gospel of John does well in covering this matter. Jesus tells us we will be hated and persecuted. Jesus gives us instructions so that we won't be offended by others (John 16:1) And assures us that our Joy won't be taken (John 16:22) and assures us peace (John 14:27) we are commanded to love (John 15:12) no matter what others believe, we do not judge unbelievers (John 12:48) the world would love us if we were in it but we were chosen to be taken out so We are hated (John 15:20) and we will have troubles in this world but Jesus overcame the world, and we can have peace (John 16:33)
*these scriptures are referenced, not quoted so please study the exact scriptures in your bible

It is very easy to slip, to become of this world. Thankfully, Grace doesn't run out, it is sufficient, always. So we pick up our struggles, throw them over our shoulders as if they are a bag of tools we have been given to navigate this place (because that is what struggles are) and with the love of Christ in our heart, we make the decision to stand up one more time, stare meanness in the face, and ask, do you need a hug? With the love of Christ in our hearts, we embrace the dark moments with his light

"While you have the light, believe in the light, that you may become sons of light."
When Jesus had said these things, he departed and hid himself from them. (John 12:36 ESV)

Have you loved to leave fingerprints?

A Grateful Believer in Jesus Christ
~Johnna

No comments:

Post a Comment